Oh man, BrickLink's a money sink!


First off, I'm not complaining but boy!, I didn't know what I was getting into here! Can't tell you how much $$$ I've spent or how many shipments of legos I've had since starting a few weeks ago. It takes a lot of bricks though – as you all must know – to make a larger piece... a lot of bricks. It's all great fun though and the BrickLink service is magnificent. Really a wonderful resource I couldn't do without.

Things are progressing with my abandoned house concept. I've finished the first 1/4 of the front facade. So far, I'm liking the piece, however am increasingly concerned of how it will photograph, being all black. I'm definitely going to try and photograph it in 3D. Some wonderful results out there. Much time has been lost waiting for pieces which I greatly underestimated brick count on. 

While I wait, I've been doing research on interesting subject matters to capture. Of special interest to me are children's book illustration - particularly some french illustrators - pop up books and contemporary vinyl toy designers. I think what I find fascinating is a lego like quality to many of these. From the simplistic, flat art book illustrations, to the succession of flat plains in pop up art to the faceted art and lovely colors of vinyl toy movement, there seems to be a language there that is very lego in a fresh, new light. 

A typical Lego method of describing volume. To my eyes, this technique has gotten a bit old looking. Seen it a million times and fails to impress me like it used to.
The general tendency with lego building is to pixelate volumes that involve compound curves. It seems interesting though to flatten space and let the eye fill in the rest. Such as pop up books. From here you get multilayered plains in a very compact space.
Of lego interest to me here are (from left to right, top to bottom): the bold colors of Nathan Jurevicius' Scary Girl; the popup quality of this illustration; the way in which the white window area could be a flat white brick plain opening up to a lego scene; the facets of the robot illustration; pop ups in general and the lego opportunity here; finally, "It's a Small World" like graphic illustration style. All these seem like unique opportunities to move forward in.

Also of interest, is this idea of framing the work. I speak not exactly of a picture frame but more of a method to draw the eye into the scene and keep it there. One problem that I see exists is how quickly lego works get lost in their environments, particularly in trade shows. A combination of the massive space, hustle and bustle of spectators and abundance of closely positioned, relatively small works makes it hard to focus in on work. For my next project, I am going to work on a flat plained piece set within a large white box. In this way, I force the viewpoint to the proper position (as all the components are flat and meant to be viewed face forward) and keep the eye in the setting like a target to a bulls eye. By forcing the viewpoint, I also open up the opportunity to completely reconfigure the viewpoint that the art depicts. For instance, the art can now appear as if you are looking down or up at a scene.

I have to say, the AFOL community and flicker sites have been an awesome resource to learn from. Some incredible work out there using very clever techniques. 

- mike

2 comments:

Mike said...

I couldn't agree with you more! keep up the good work.

Legoman said...

Lol. I ran across Bricklink while looking for parts to build my Millennium Falcon. I spend way too much money there myself. It's like crack. Love your work. They are so realistic I didn't even believe they were Lego until I did a close up. Simply amazing.